Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Southwest Enchilada Bake

Please forgive me for the next couple recipes. They are worth sharing, but I forgot to take pictures. John was out of town and the kids were NUTS...in fact I felt like a chicken with my head cut off trying to run a hundred different direction. This was really good and also freezer worthy.
This recipe comes from the Taste of Home magazine.

15 corn tortillas
1 lb lean ground beef
1 lg onion
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
1 can enchilada sauce ( I used green enchilada sauce because I like it better)
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1.Cut tortillas into eighths; set aside. Cook the beef, onions, jalapeno and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink ( I sprinkled a little kosher salt on this mixture as it cooked) Drain. Stir in the black eyed peas, soups, tomatoes, enchilada sauce. Heat through.

2. Spread 2 2/3 cups meat mixture into a 9x13 baking dish. Top with 2 cups cut tortillas. Repeat layers. Top with remaining meat mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and Bake at 350 for 20- 25 minutes, Or let it cool and freeze to use later.

No comments:

Post a Comment